1. Family and Children
(1) Should father play a bigger role in parenting?
(2) Successful parenting
(3) Can working parents play a sufficient role in raising their children?
(4) Are cell phones necessary for young children?
(5) Do you thinks that advertisements targeting children should be banned?
(6) Causes of increasing late marriage and single life.
(1) Should women change their family names when they get married?
(2) Should same-sex marriage be legally accepted?
(3) Should women stay at home to take care of their child
(1) Should the university system in Japan be reformed?
(2) Should university education be free for everyone?
(3) Why do Japanese children want to skip school?
(4) What is the real purpose of education?
(5) Will stronger discipline in schools benefit students?
(6) Should school uniform be abolished?
(7) The pros and cons of corporal punishment at school
(8) Should high school students be allowed to have part-time jobs?
(9) Should exceptionally good students be allowed to slip grades?
(10) How to develop children’s individuality and creativity
4. Language and education
(1) Should English become be an official second language in Japan?
(2) What makes successful foreign language learner?
5 Science and Technology
(1) Is scientific progress always beneficial?
(2) Is the genetically modified food beneficial?
(The disadvantages of GM food)
(3) Is Space Exploration worth the cost?
(4) Is Genetic Engineering beneficial?
(5) Should scientists be allowed to manipulate human genes?
(Should human reproductive cloning be promoted?)
(6) The pros and cons of electric vehicles
(7) Future roles of robots
(1) Should pros compete in the Olympics?
(2) Do you think that the advantages of hosting Olympics outweigh its disadvantages?
(3) Do competitive sports build character in children?
(What lessons do children learn in competitive sports?)
(4) Can hard work and determination be a substitute for natural ability in sports?
(5) Are professional athletes good role models for children?
(6) The value of sports for children
7 Culture and Custom
(1) Does history show that people are becoming more civilized?
(2) Are people becoming less polite?
(3) Is it important to preserve minority language?
(4) Will electronic pets replace real pets?
(The roles that pets play in our lives)
(5) Is the changing food culture in Japan good or bad?
(6) What is the role of music in today’s culture?
(7) Comics vs. serious literature
(8) Are there good moral standards in religion for society to follow?
(9) Is Japan moving towards a multicultural society?
8 Information and Media
(1) Should Internet be tightly regulated?
(2) Do you think that the advantages of the Internet outweigh its disadvantages?
(Does the Internet benefit society?)
(3) Does the media invade the lives of public figures too much?
(4) In what ways has the Internet made young people more vulnerable?
(5) What must be done to attract more people to shop online?
(6) Does the Internet promote extreme behavior?
(7) Should cigarette advertisement be banned?
(8) Countermeasures against cyber crimes
(9) The pros and cons of social networking services
(10)Will all printed media (books, newspapers, magazines) be replaced by electronic media?
(11)Agree or disagree: Advertising has a negative influence on society
(12)Does mass media play a positive role in society?
(13)How has the Internet change the mass media?
(14)Prohibition of downloading music and films
9 Law and Crime
(1) Should capital punishment be abolished?
(2) Is the lay judge system beneficial to Japanese society?
(3) Should civilians be allowed to carry guns for self-defense?
(4) Is the government doing enough to protect people from the threat of terrorism?
(5) Should the justice system focus on rehabilitation rather than retribution?
(6) Causes of and countermeasures of juvenile delinquency
10 Health and Medicine
(1) Should organ transplants be more available in Japan?
(2) Is it always good to prolong the life of the dying?
(3) Should mercy-killing be legalized?
(4) Young people’s obsession with dieting.
(5) Pros and Cons of animal testing
(6) Suggestions for improving hospital care
(7) Causes of and countermeasures for mental illnesses
(8) The growing anti-smoking trend
11 Environment and Energy
(1) How can be done to help solve the worldwide fresh water shortage?
(2) Is nuclear energy a viable solution to global warming?
(Should nuclear power be promoted?)
(3) Is nuclear energy the most environmentally friendly form of energy without the dirty smoke and waste?
(4) What should we do to maintain biodiversity?
(How can people save endangered species?)
(5) Is it important to save endangered species?
(Protecting endangered species.)
(6) The role of forests in world ecology.
(7) How to prepare for natural disasters?
(8) What can be done to make people more environmentally conscious?
(9) Pros and cons of ecotourism
(10)The pros and cons of hydroelectric power generation
(11)Is environmental protection compatible with economic growth?
(12)Should daylight saving time be implemented in Japan?
(13)What can we do to decrease waste?
(14)What action should be taken against global warming?
(15)Will renewable energy sources eventually replace fossil fuels?
12 Social Problems (Aging Society, Poverty, Disparity)
(1) Should Japan allow more immigrants into the country?
(2) Problems of aging society with declining birthrate.
(3) Causes of and countermeasures for super aging society.
(4) Problems of declining birthrate
13 Business and Work
(1) Should retirement age be raised or abolished?
(2) Seniority system (lifetime employment) vs. performance based pay system.
(3) Will the trend toward part-time employment negatively affect Japanese society?
(4) Is whistle blowing justified?
(5) The pros and cons of work-sharing
(6) The social responsibility of large corporations
(1) Do you think higher tax rate will have a positive or negative effect?
(2) Free trade vs. Protectionism
(3) Is outsourcing a positive phenomenon?
(4) Should major companies in financial trouble receive government support?
(5) Is consumption tax a fair way of raising government revenues?
(1) Should Japan Self-Defense Forces join international peacekeeping operations?
(2) Is democracy the best system in the contemporary world?
(3) Should celebrities be involved in politics?
(4) Are young people today interested in politics?
16 World Politics and International Relations
(1) What is the role of United Nations?
(2) Do you agree that the veto system of the United Nations Security Council be reformed to meet the demand of times?
(3) Is the granting of international aid to poor countries the only way to help in their development?
(4) Should other Asian nations be more relevant to Japanese foreign policy?
(5) Should Japan seek permanent status on the UN Security Council?
(6) Japan’s role in the international community
(7) Is world peace a remote possibility?
(8) Should economic sanction be used to achieve foreign policy objective?
(9) Which is the greater threat to human kind, world hunger or world terrorism?
(10)How to eliminate weapons of mass destruction?
(11) Should the United Nations have its own permanent standing army?
(1) Is Japan a comfortable country for foreigners to live in?
(2) What should mankind overcome in the 21stcentury?
(3) How can Japan improve its image?